To earn a coding credential, obtaining a certification like CPC, COC, CIC, CIRCC, or CCS in Medical coding is a basic requirement and hence it proves that candidate has required expertise to analyze and interpret the medical reports; he has knowledge of all the required federal rules and regulation, payment policies and has extensive knowledge of human anatomy and medical terminology.
Requirements for certification:
- Any Graduate or undergraduate: you need not to be a graduate to appear for CPC exam, though it may be required later while applying for a coding job
- 1 Year coding experience (recommended, not mandatory)
- 90 Hours coding training completion certificate from a certified trainer of Medisoft
- However if you do not have the above mentioned experience and certificate, you will be awarded an apprentice credential CPC-A.
- Sound knowledge of human anatomy, medical terminology, pathology.
- Knowledge of Diagnosis and procedure coding guidelines.
- Experience in coding charts of different medical
A robust and rigorous training is essential for passing the certification examination. There are different certifications available in the market for different hospital setting and medical specialties. However, there are two main American institutions whose certifications are considered extremely valuable in the industry:
- AAPC-American Academy of Professional Coders. It provides certification like CPC, COC, CIC, CIRCC, etc.
- AHIMA-American Health Information Management Association provides Certified Coding Specialist (CCS)
CPC-A is awarded to the candidates who do not have any coding experience and training completion certificate. This apprentice status gets converted to normal CPC as soon as the candidate obtains one year of coding experience and the coding training completion certificate.
CPC Examination Information:
- 150 multiple choice questions (proctored)
- 5 hours and 40 minutes without any break
- 1 free retake
- Fee: $500.00 (excluding membership Fee of $125), you can get additional 10% corporate discount if enrolled thru our corporate Medisoft Infoservices.
- Open code book (manuals)
- You need to score 70% overall to pass
The CPC® examination consists of questions regarding the correct application of CPT, ICD-9-CM, and HCPCS Level II procedure codes used for billing professional medical services to insurance companies. Examinees must also demonstrate knowledge on proper modifier use, coding guidelines and regulatory rules.
CPC exam curriculum covers the following topics:
- Integumentary System (10,000)
- Muskuloskeletal System(20,000)
- Cardiovascular System (30,000)
- Digestive System (40,000)
- Urinary and Genital System (50,000)
- Nervous System, Ear, Eye (60,000)
- Evaluation and Management (90,000)
- Anesthesia (00100-01999)
- Radiology (70,000)
- Pathology (80,0000
- Medicine (90,000)
- Medical Terminology
- ICD-9-CM, volume I and II
- HCPCS Level II
- Coding Guidelines
- Compliance and Regulatory
Feature and Aspects
- Highest job satisfaction in the industry
- Day shift job, usually 09:00 am to 06:00 pm
- Certification program
- Salary range: 20,000 to 80,000 p.m.
- Placement in multinational corporate
- Abroad opportunities for certified coders (our coders are successfully placed abroad)
- Suitable for both genders
- Work from home option